Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sparkling Natural Wonder, Overwhelming Toddler Indifference

The fireflies are here!  Those flashy bugs are one of the major elements of summertime for a kid, so I'm glad Benjamin is growing up in a place that has them.  Does Charleston have fireflies?  I'm sure it does.  Pocatello did not.  It had cockroaches, hobo spiders, and crows.  And the very occasional moose.

No, I did not take that photo.

I actually spent a few moments wondering whether to teach Benjamin the word "firefly" or "lightning bug".  It seemed important.

We let Benjamin stay up until dusk, an hour after his 7:30 bedtime, so he could see the show.  He was delighted for a few minutes, but then started looking at other things (sticks, cars driving by, airplanes).  I was hoping to see Magical Wonder in his eyes for an extended period of time, but it quickly dissolved into what looked a little bit more like Typical Boredom.


1 comment:

  1. Amazement for a 2 year old has a half life about equal to their age in minutes. But he will remember next year, I will bet. My sister and I used to catch them in Iowa and put them in a jar with grass and then let them go the next morning. Linda was about 2 then. Just keep exposing him to the cool stuff in nature - really important since most of the oafs who grow up do not have a clue!

    Grandpa Chadwick

    ReplyDelete